Black Americans Have Worse Asthma Outcomes Than White Americans
- Disproportionately diagnosed1,2
- ~5x as likely to be hospitalized due to asthma3
- ~6x as likely to visit the emergency department due to asthma4
- ~3x as likely to die due to asthma, with the highest death rates among women2,5
What Factors Cause Asthma Disparities?
- Economic stability and education6
- Racism, bias, discrimination, and segregation6
- Misperceptions, distrust, and treatment nonadherence6
- Smoke and air pollutants6
- Genetic influence on severity and treatment response66
How Do We Help Reduce Asthma Disparities?
- Reform policies on insurance, healthcare, wages, housing, and environment6
- Include Black population and racially/ethnically diverse groups among patients and researchers in clinical trials6
- Improve patient communication and HCP education on asthma care6
- Strengthen multistakeholder partnerships between patients, family, and HCP6